Makes 4 Servings
Hands-On Time: 40 Minutes
Total Preparation Time: 50 Minutes
1 c cherry tomatoes
3 pickled cherry peppers
1/2 seedless(English) cucumber
1 small head iceberg lettuce
1 small onion
5 T extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
3/4 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground coriander
1/4 t cayenne pepper
One 15 1/2 oz can chickpeas
1 large egg
2 T well-stirred tahini
1/2 t kosher salt
1 recipe Creamy Garlic Dressing Two Ways
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Place the tomatoes in a food processor fitted with chopping blade; pulse until medium chopped (about 3/4 cup); transfer them to a bowl. Remove the stems and seeds from the cherry peppers and chop them in the food processor (about 1/3 cup); add them to the bowl.
2. Remove the chopping blade and place the slicing disc on the food processor. Split the cucumber in half lengthwise and slice in the processor (about 2 cups); transfer the slices to the bowl. Discard the outer leaves of the lettuce and medium chop by hand or cut it into wedges and use the food processor with the slicing disc (about 6 cups). Add the lettuce to the bowl. Wipe out the food processor, fit the processor with the chopping blade, and set aside.
3. Chop the onion (about 1/2 cup). Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low; add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until it has softened. Press the garlic (about 2 teaspoons) into the pan and add the cumin, coriander, and cayenne; cook for 1 minute and then transfer to a medium bowl.
4. Rinse and drain the chickpeas (about 1 1/3 cups). Pulse them in the food processor just until they are coarsely chopped; remove 1/2 chopped chickpeas and add it to the onion mixture. Add the egg, tahini, and salt to the chickpeas remaining in the processor and process them until they are very finely ground; stir them into the onion mixture. Cover the mixture and chill it for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the Creamy Garlic Dressing.
5. Shape the chilled chickpea mixture into 12 patties (the mixture will be loose). Spread out the panko on a pie plate lined with wax paper or parchment and dip the patties into it to coat on all sides, lifting the wax paper on both sides to move them around; shake off any excess.
6. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the falafel patties and cook until crisp and golden on one side, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and turn the patties; cook for 3 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
7. To serve, toss the chopped vegetables with 1/2 cup of the dressing and divide the mixture among 4 large salad bowls. Top each salad with 3 falafel patties and some of the remaining dressing.
Creamy Garlic Dressing Two Ways: Rich and Slim
Makes about 2/3 cup
2 T sherry vinegar
2t Dijon mustard
1/4 t kosher salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove
1/4 c heavy cream or plain low-fat or full-fat yogurt Greek-style
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until the salt has dissolved. Press the garlic (about 1 teaspoon) into the mixture. Gradually whisk in the cream and then the olive oil. Store in the refrigerator for a day or two.