X

Potatoes: What is the best way to store potatoes?

Elizabeth from Cambridge e-mailed to ask, “The potatoes I keep loosely in a plastic bag in a cupboard go rotten with regularity. Dear Kitchen Shrink, should I refrigerate them? Put them in a bowl? Change my purveyer?”

Potatoes keep best when placed in a well-ventilated container and stored in a dry location, away from sunlight, and at temperatures between 45 and 55 degrees F. That isn’t too easy to find in most homes today but if you place them in a paper bag, cardboard box, or bowl (not in a plastic bag) and keep them in the coolest part of the kitchen or a dry part of your basement, it should help their longevity. If you are shopping for a small family, buy only enough potatoes for a week at a time. Refrigerator temperature is a bit too cool for potatoes and tends to increase their sweetness making them brown very quickly when fried. You can find more information at potatopro.com.

16 Responses to Potatoes: What is the best way to store potatoes?

1. SANDRA ALEXANDER says:

Thanks for the potato storage answer. They’re just my husband and my-self and end up with two or so wasted with spoilage. S.A.

• Dawn says:

I have my potatoes delivered fresh from a farm and was told the best place to store them is in a cool dark place , a fridge is both cool and dark so making the fridge an ideal place to store them. I’ve been doing so for a while and never had a problem with them.

2. joey beggs says:

can I freeze potatoes

• Les says:

I have stored potatoes as mashed. Placed an amount for a meal in a zip lock freezer storage bag. Have kept for six months or longer this way.

3. Shirley Gumangan says:

Can I freeze the raw potato?

4. Leslie says:

How do you reheat?

• moulton says:

It depends on how you have cooked the potatoes. Let me know what kind you want to reheat.

• Drez says:

Potatos are actually better for you if you eat them cooked and cooled. When chilled the SUGARS released in the cooking process will be converted BACK into fiber, called resistant starch. It is so resistant that they can’t be broken down by the digestive enzymes. Better yet they travel down to the good bacteria in the colon. What we all could use more of.

5. My potatoes also go bad so quickly. I keep them in a paper bag. Perhaps I should change the location to a dark space.

6. Myrna says:

The only place it’s close to 45-52 degrees F is fridge. Even with air conditioner on in the summer, room is 70 degrees. Now what?

7. Gayle distefsno says:

Should you wrap garden potatoes in newspaper when storing