Lottie is a viewer who sent me a letter in response to a show I did on “Sara’s Secret’s” about using “homemade style” white bread in place of pastry. Lottie says these roll-ups taste like “cheese cake rolls.” We tested them and she is right. Thanks Lottie!
Makes 20 (4-inch) rolls
20 slices homemade style firm white bread, crusts removed
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Roll out bread slices with a rolling pin until flattened; arrange on work surface.
- Beat together cream cheese, egg and 1 ½ tablespoons of the sugar. Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Divide cream cheese mixture onto bread, spreading about 1 level measuring tablespoon on each. Roll up bread to enclose filling.
- Brush rolls all over with butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Arrange on prepared baking sheets and bake until they begin to puff, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm.