Makes 6 Servings
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total preparation time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 celery rib, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 pound ground beef chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground veal or turkey
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (see “how to make fresh bread crumbs” below)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
1/3 cup chili sauce (the kind you serve with shrimp cocktail or you can make your own by combining 2/3 ketchup with 1/3 bottled horseradish)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot. Reduce the heat to medium; add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, spreading out the mixture, and place in freezer to cool slightly. Combine the beef, pork, veal, sour cream, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons of the mustard, the salt, and pepper; stir in the onion mixture. Shape into 6 equal burgers.
2. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the skillet over high heat until hot; reduce the heat to medium and add the burgers to the pan. Cook the burgers for 6 minutes a side or until they are almost cooked through (nice and pink; they should be almost firm to the touch and have very little pink color inside). Transfer the burgers to a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Meanwhile, combine the chili sauce and the remaining 2 tablespoons mustard. Preheat the broiler to high. Spoon the chili sauce over each burger to cover well and place the skillet under the broiler. Broil for 2 minutes or until the topping begins to bubble.
Makes 4 Servings
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total Preparation time: 30 minutes
2 large baking potatoes, scrubbed (about 1½ pounds)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F. Generously grease a large baking sheet.
2. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick French fries. Toss them with the oil and ¼ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Spread them on the pan and roast them in the lower third of the oven for 15 minutes. Turn them over and roast until golden on all sides, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve.
Herbed Pea Medley
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total preparation time: 15 minutes
One 10-ounce package frozen peas
8 ounces sugar snap or snow peas, trimmed
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon rinsed, dried and shredded fresh mint or basil, or chopped fresh dill
1. Cook the frozen peas in boiling salted water according to the package instructions
2. At the same time, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sugar snap peas and cook for 30 seconds; drain immediately. Toss the peas and sugar snap peas with the butter, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste
How do you make fresh bread crumbs?
You take fresh bread slices (with or without the crust, your choice) and pulse them either in a food processor or blender until they are finely ground. 1 slice bread (like Pepperidge Farm or Arnolds) yields ½ cup fresh bread crumbs.