- Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality - http://saramoulton.com -
Chicken and Tomatillo Salsa Nachos
Posted By admin On October 7, 2011 @ 7:56 pm In Episode 202,Sara's Weeknight Meals Season 2 | No Comments
Makes 4 Servings
Hands-On Time: 20 Minutes
Total Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Black bean soup
Store bought tortilla chips or Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips (recipe
1 c store-bought green or red salsa or Tomatillo Salsa (recipe below)
4 chicken thighs, reserved from Peruvian Baked Chicken Thighs
6 oz Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
2 medium scallions
1 c sour cream
1. Prepare the Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips. Leave the oven set to 400°F.
2. Prepare the Tomatillo Salsa.
3. Meanwhile, remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken; finely shred the meat (about 1 3/4 cups). Coarsely grate the cheese (about 1 1/2 cups). Trim and thinly slice the scallions (about 1/4 cup).
4. When the tortilla chips are cool, arrange them in one layer on a large ovenproof platter and top them with the chicken and cheese. Bake them for 5 to 8 minutes or until the chicken is hot and the cheese has melted. Top the nachos with the salsa, sour cream, and scallions; serve immediately.
If you want to make your own tortilla chips here is an oven baked recipe which significantly cuts down on the fat (and the mess of deep frying):
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 teaspoon chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Brush one side of each tortilla with the mixture and cut each tortilla into 12 wedges. Arrange the wedges in one layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake them for 10 to 12 minutes or until crispy.
And if you want to make your own tomatillo salsa here is a recipe for that as well:
Yields a generous cup
2 large tomatillos (about 6 to 7 ounces)
2 medium scallions
1 small jalapeño chile
1/4 cup firmly packed cilantro leaves and stems
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 small garlic cloves
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Peel, rinse and thickly slice the tomatillos (about 1 1/2 cups), thickly slice the white and light green part of the scallions (about 1/4 cup), and coarsely chop the jalapeño (about 2 teaspoons). Transfer the tomatillos, scallions, cilantro, and jalapeño to a food processor fitted with the chopping blade; add the oil and lime juice and press in the garlic (about 2 teaspoons). Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
Add the salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Article printed from Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality: http://saramoulton.com
URL to article: http://saramoulton.com/2011/10/chicken-and-tomatillo-salsa-nachos/
Copyright © 2010 Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality. All rights reserved.