- Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality - http://saramoulton.com -
Fried Green Tomatoes with Ranch Dressing and Yellow Cherry Tomato Salad
Posted By admin On August 20, 2010 @ 8:26 am In iGoogle Collection,Recipes,Side Dishes | 5 Comments
Tomato lovers, it doesn’t get much better than this. In this easy summer time recipe from Sara Moulton Cooks at Home you start with a base of breaded and fried green tomato slices, top it off with a little salad of cherry tomatoes, and spoon on some homemade ranch dressing. Done. Just make sure all the tomatoes are fresh and in season.
For the dressing:
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 scallions, white part only, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the tomatoes:
3 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Kosher salt to taste
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Additional freshly ground black pepper to taste
Serves 6 to 8
- Begin with the salad. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the salt and drain in a large strainer for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir the tomatoes gently with the mint, basil, and parsley. Add the lemon juice and olive oil. Stir again and season with salt and pepper to taste. You should have about 1 cup.
- To prepare the dressing, mince the garlic, then crush it with the flat side of a large knife. Add the salt and work into a coarse paste. Transfer to a small bowl and add the mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, scallions, parsley, and chives. Whisk in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and blend. You should have about 1 1/4 cups. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- For the green tomatoes, sprinkle with salt on both sides, drain in a colander for 10 to 15 minutes, and pat dry. Working in 3 batches, heat 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Dip 6 tomato slices, one slice at a time, in the cornmeal mixture and gently shake off the excess. Cook slices in one layer until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain slices on paper towels and wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel. Make two more batches with the remaining butter, oil, tomatoes, and cornmeal mixture in the same manner, wiping out the skillet between batches.
- To serve, decoratively arrange 3 or 4 of the tomato slices overlapping on a plate. Drizzle with a small amount of the dressing and garnish with a spoonful of the salad. Serve at room temperature.
Article printed from Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality: http://saramoulton.com
URL to article: http://saramoulton.com/2010/08/fried-green-tomatoes-with-ranch-dressing-and-yellow-cherry-tomato-salad/
Copyright © 2010 Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality. All rights reserved.