- Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality - http://saramoulton.com -
Sweet Summer Corn Soup
Posted By admin On March 18, 2010 @ 2:48 pm In First Courses,Recipes | No Comments
Posted with permission of author, from Caprial’s Soups & Sandwiches by Caprial Pence.
8 cups chicken, fish, or seafood stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
Kernels cut from 12 ears fresh corn (about 10 cups)
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons cayenne sauce, or to taste
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Roasted red bell pepper puree for garnish*
Basil puree, for garnish**
6 to 8 sprigs watercress, for garnish
Cooked lobster or crab, for garnish, optional
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, bring the stock to a boil. Decrease the heat to low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in another large stockpot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the onion, garlic, and half of the corn, and sauté until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook over high heat until reduced by one half. Pour in half of the hot stock and simmer over low heat, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the mixture into the remaining stock. Puree the solids in a blender or food processor, strain again, and add to the stock mixture.
- Reduce the soup by one-half over medium-high heat, then stir in the remaining corn, the cream, cayenne sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with the bell pepper and basil purees. Garnish with watercress and seafood. * red pepper puree is made by pureeing 2 roasted peeled and seeded red bell peppers with 1 clove garlic, ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. ** basil puree is made by pureeing 1 cup fresh basil leaves with 1 clove garlic and 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil.
Article printed from Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality: http://saramoulton.com
URL to article: http://saramoulton.com/2010/03/sweet-summer-corn-soup/
Copyright © 2010 Sara Moulton | Chef, Cookbook Author, Television Personality. All rights reserved.